THE CHÂTEAU DE NALYS
Four centuries of history in Châteauneuf-du-Pape
One of the oldest estates in the appellation, the property was already listed in the land register at the end of the 16th Century. The Château de Nalys was named after its first occupant, Jacques Nalis, a farming official for the archdiocese of Avignon. From 1633 onwards, he was entrusted with the development of a farm surrounded by land and vines, the cradle of the estate today. The Nalis family produced wine here and remained in charge of the domain until the French Revolution. Afterwards, the domain was sold to a local family from Châteauneuf-du-Pape who kept hold of it for seven generations. One of the last in the line of family members, and certainly the most illustrious among them, has been Doctor Philippe Dufays. Medical doctor by training, he arrived in the region during the Second World War and married the heir of Nalys. A passionate man, “the Doctor”, as he was known by his friends and family, dedicated all his resources and energies to the property. Over nearly twenty years, Doctor Dufays extensively developed Nalys, doubling the size of the estate and establishing sales in a number of foreign markets. Following the accidental death of his son in 1975, Doctor Dufays decided to walk away from Nalys, and sold it to the insurance company Groupama.
In 2017 the Guigal family acquires Château de Nalys, convinced of the exceptional quality of its terroirs and its prestigious past.